Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July in France

Last night the remainder of the group saw movie. At first I didn’t want to go because I wanted to have enough time to pack, but I got convinced. We were going to see Transformers, but the group decided to see Minuit à Paris instead because it was cheaper since it wasn’t in 3D. I wasn’t very thrilled to see a movie that I knew nothing about because I knew Transformers would have been good, but I went a long anyway. I was wrong about the movie, though. It turned out to be really good! It was the perfect movie to see for us because it was set in Paris, so I recognized all the scenery. It brought back a lot of good memories seeing Paris on the movie screen, and I loved remembering everything. Aside from the setting, it was a good story too. I recommend it!
After the movie, some people went to Pizza Hut and out for the night, but I wanted to get back early. I was on edge about packing. I was so worried I wouldn’t be able to fit everything in my bags, so I just wanted to get back to my room and figure everything out. Fortunately, I got everything to fit in my suitcase and duffel bag! I don’t even really need my backpack, so I am very excited about that. I went to bed early (around midnight) to get a full night’s rest.
Today I met up with Bryan at 9:30am to walk to the train station to go ahead and print our train tickets, so I would have one less thing to worry about tonight when we leave for London. Our station was Lille Europe instead of the usual station we go to, Lille Flanders. When we got there, we had to find where Eurostar (our train company) was to get out tickets. After walking around and turning around many times, we find where to go. We get to the counter, and they ask for our passports. I had mine, but Bryan didn’t, so when he tried to follow me they got all pissed off and wouldn’t let him in. I tried to tell the people in limited French and English about how I wanted to print my ticket for my train tonight, and they led me to another guy at the counter. He motioned for me to fill out this form, and when I am halfway done, we knocks on his window for me to go up to him. I hadn’t filled out the address of where I am staying in London, and he gets all pissy asking me how I don’t know where I am going in London since my train is in five minutes. I then explain my train is tonight, and then he tells someone else and he takes my paper with my train code on it and walks away. I wait about ten minutes, and he eventually tells me vaguely to print my tickets somewhere else. I had just wasted a bunch of time doing nothing. We told the people we wanted to print our tickets, not board a train!
We then found where we were actually supposed to go to print our tickets, and waited in line 15 minutes and painlessly printed them out once we got to the counter. Oh well, traveling is never a smooth process. I hope tonight goes well though. At least I experienced all those without my heavy luggage!
I then split up from Bryan and went shopping on my own. I was slightly nervous to be alone, but I had a pleasant time walking around doing my own thing going where I wanted to go. I bought two skirts and a shirt from H&M, a skirt from a store called Cool Cat, and then some pretty sandals. I got a tuna baguette and a pastry for four euro for lunch too. I had a good shopping day. I can’t believe it took me so long to finally go shopping for myself. I have sporadically shopped around, but it has never been a relaxing experience like today. I was on a mission for some cute, grey tennis shoes, but they don’t ever have my size! My feet are too big here; it is annoying haha.
I walked back to the dorm and randomly found Hannah and hung out with her, Rebecca, Bryan, and Wittney for a bit. I am now in my room packed and ready to go pretty much. I am going outside soon to take pics of La Catho and the dorm…my last memories here. It is weird to leave Lille. I wonder if I will ever come back. It is so sad to leave and not know if I will ever come back here! It hasn’t really hit me though. I have travelled so much, and I always come back to Lille again, but this time I won’t. This thought puts me in a blehhh mood. At least I am going to London. London will be an amazing and beautiful city like Paris. I am sure I will fall in love with it. I just can’t believe Europe is drawing to a close for me. I knew it would end, but this went by way too fast. I wished I studied abroad for a semester! I really regret that. I am looking into grad schools, though. Ideally, it would be nice to find an internship or even a real job over here after I graduate. That’s the dream at least.
Oh and Happy 4th of July! It is weird being somewhere where no one cares what day is today. I look forward to celebrating this day in London tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment