Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My London London Bridge Wanna Go Down

I am finally in London! I have been busy since getting here Monday night. The train ride went smoothly, and it went way too quickly; it was only an hour and a half. It was a hassle dealing with all my luggage, but we took a bus to the train station, which made things easier. I think because I could brace myself for the pain my luggage would be, it wasn’t as bad as when I arrived in Paris. There was also a time change getting to London, so we arrived in 30 minutes technically. We took a cab to our hotel, and it turned out to be very cheap; $15 total divided by 4. The cab driver was really nice, and we somehow managed to fit all of our luggage and 4 people in to the cab semi-comfortably. We got to our hotel, and it is SO NICE! Completely luxurious compared to what I have slept in this whole trip. We have a waterfall shower, two big, fluffy beds, modern architecture, and two TV’s. We also get an amazing continental breakfast each morning, and I eat way too much. The hotel is in a prime location too…right by the London Eye.
Yesterday we did a boat tour first thing, although, we had to walk to the company’s office to get tickets with our vouchers, which was a little annoying. Once we were on the boat it was fun. I saw Big Ben, Parliament, the London Eye, London Bridge, and so many more things that I can’t remember. We then did a bus tour and saw lots of things including where Daniel Radcliff went to school! I am was excited to see that. We also saw Buckingham Palace. Compared to Versaille, the palace seemed not as grand, but I am glad I saw it for sure.
The bus tour then completely sucked. We were trying to get in the blue line, and after three hours, we never managed to get on it. We were on buses for like three hours not really knowing where we were going. I just wanted to fall asleep because I was exhausted for some reason. It started raining eventually, and we just sat in Starbucks for a while and then we went to the M&M museum. That was a lot of fun! It was four stories full of M&M memorabilia. We then headed back to the hotel, and I pretty much just fell asleep. Everyone else went to dinner, but I decided to stay in and sleep because I wasn’t hungry, and I was just really tired.
I think this entire trip finally caught up to me yesterday because I was exhausted. Not gonna lie, I want to go home now. I think it is because I am not in Lille, where I feel at home and I know how to get around. Here, I have no basis for where I am, and that really bothers me. I don’t feel connected or attached to London because I never really know where I am, and I have discovered that is really important to me when I travel. I still am enjoying London, though, and I am happy to be here. For me, it just doesn’t compare to Paris. Paris seems a lot older, and the city appeals to me more. London mixes modern architecture and historic architecture, which is really pretty, but I fell in love with the cute, old buildings of Paris with the balconies and flowers and all.
I am dreading Friday traveling home to the States. It is just going to be an extremely long day, and I am going to crash so hard when I finally get to the hotel in Charlotte with my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment